Sunday 28 March 2010

Small Still Lives- Part 2

So... More still life value studies this week and I think a bit of a turning point. The more I do these the more I realise how useful they are. The third drawing isn't as successful as the 2nd one; I struggled to draw it that small and could probably have used going up a size, that meant I got a bit too fussy with it and lost my way about half way through.

But the second one I like quite a bit, I think it's the first drawing where what I'm trying to learn has actually started to work. I've finally dialled back that intense graphic line I seem to have and it looks much more natural to me; I am drawing more with value and tone, not line. More to the point whether I'm there or not, I seem to be following a much better process for drawing in general and I'm pretty happy with that, it means progress and this is quite a personal step forward.

pic name

pic name

pic name
The 2 drawings below have been drawn in the space of 1 week and it's amazing how many different things I have been able to try just by keeping the drawing small and the subject simple. The proof is in the pudding, these small studies are definitely working. Not only that but I feel that this will help a lot the next time I go to a class- I have a tendancy to not know what approach to use or even what pencil- these small studies help me figure out what works best.

pic name

No comments: